Community

Indian E-Commerce’s Coming of Age & Repetition of History

Indian E-Commerce’s Coming of Age & Repetition of History

Walmart’s acquisition of Flipkart demonstrates both Indian e-commerce’s coming of age and a repetition of history. US giants will spend billions in India because they see huge opportunities, and this will produce a short-term boon for Indian consumers. When the dust...
Sri Lakshmi Ganapathi Temple June Events

Sri Lakshmi Ganapathi Temple June Events

Saturday, June 2nd:  12.00 PM Noon, Sri Nava Graha homa / Sri Saneeswara Graha homa, Srii Nava Graha abhisheka, Sri Saneeswara Graha abhisheka, aarati and manthra pushpa. 2.00 PM, Sri Venkateswara abhisheka, continued with Sri Vishnu Ssahasra Nama chanting...
SF Mayoral Candidate Angela Alioto Talks to India Currents

SF Mayoral Candidate Angela Alioto Talks to India Currents

Angela Interview 052518.IndianCurrents Angela Alioto, mayoral candidate, was born and raised in San Francisco. Her parents are former San Francisco Mayor Joseph L. Alioto and Angelina Genaro Alioto. During her service on the Board of Supervisors, Angela was elected...
Bay Area Tamil Women Protest Misogynist Social Media Post

Bay Area Tamil Women Protest Misogynist Social Media Post

May 19, 2018, Mountain House, California On a windy Saturday afternoon, nearly 60 Indian-Americans who speak Tamil, came together to peacefully protest against “sexist and misogynist” comments made on social media by Mountain House resident, Thirumalai Sa alias...
Why India’s Investors Need to Get Over Their Inferiority Complex

Why India’s Investors Need to Get Over Their Inferiority Complex

Walmart’s acquisition of Flipkart has created shockwaves in India, with the realisation that the vast majority of its $16 billion price will go to foreign investors, namely Tiger Global, SoftBank, Naspers, and Accel Partners. Now Indian investors are kicking...
Make Me a Wedding Guest, Please!

Make Me a Wedding Guest, Please!

Out of the blue, I received a cryptic text: “Hey Monita, your name is in the list. If you can please come for the movie tomorrow. Please keep it confidential…” This was confusing, to say the least, but being placed on a list of any sort always worries me,...