Community

Creating Spaces For LGBTQIA Hindus

Creating Spaces For LGBTQIA Hindus

Washington, DC (June 21, 2018) — In honor of LGBT Pride Month, the Sri Siva Vishnu Temple, in Lanham, Maryland, hosted a town hall discussion on June 16 about what the temple could do to make queer Hindus feel more included. The event, “Creating Spaces for...
The ‘Browning’ of California’s Green Movement

The ‘Browning’ of California’s Green Movement

by Peter Schurmann Almost thirty years ago East Los Angeles resident and mother of nine kids, Juana Gutierrez took on an oil giant and won. Hailed at the time in national and international media, Gutierrez was seen as being in the vanguard of a “fledgling”...
Parenting A ‘Gifted’ Child

Parenting A ‘Gifted’ Child

“I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very very curious.” – Albert Einstein. Parenting is tricky business. My mother might not necessarily agree with this statement, maintaining that in her time, people did whatever came to...
Single Dads Share on Their Experiences in Parenting

Single Dads Share on Their Experiences in Parenting

On the occasion of Father’s Day, RJ Archana Panda talks to single dads and their experiences in parenting. Hear this rather unique episode!
Harvesting Rain: Indian Americans Prepare for Drought

Harvesting Rain: Indian Americans Prepare for Drought

California’s immigrant communities have long been among the leading proponents of state and local measures to protect and safeguard the environment. But in the South Asian community, many residents have also begun to take matters into their own hands. From the rural...
Indian E-Commerce’s Coming of Age & Repetition of History

Indian E-Commerce’s Coming of Age & Repetition of History

Walmart’s acquisition of Flipkart demonstrates both Indian e-commerce’s coming of age and a repetition of history. US giants will spend billions in India because they see huge opportunities, and this will produce a short-term boon for Indian consumers. When the dust...