The Center for South Asia Studies at UC Berkeley have entered into a unique partnership with The Tata Group, the largest private corporate group in India and one of the most respected companies in the world. The Tata International Social Entrepreneurship Scheme (Tata ISES) provides international students with an opportunity to contribute to community initiative projects of Tata Group companies in India. These unique learning experiences for students help promote international understanding and bring new perspectives to the existing TATA initiatives in India.
Tata ISES interns will spend eight weeks in India working with Tata companies on various development projects. Competitively selected interns will join Tata community development teams working on the economic and social empowerment of communities surrounding the company’s operating units. Intern assignments will involve participation in on-going activities/projects with Tata Group companies.
- For UC Berkeley and UC Santa Cruz students: Tuesday, June 5 ~ Tuesday, July 31, 2012
- For UC Davis Students: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 – Friday, Aug 31, 2012
Project Themes for Summer 2012
For more information on the types of internships, the Tata companies offering them, and the specific eligibility requirements (if any) please visit the Projects section.
- Orientation: Selected interns will participate in a pre-departure orientation program at Berkeley and be provided with introductory language training. They will be provided with additional orientation by Tata in India prior to traveling to their individual assignments. On-the-job translation assistance will be provided by Tata.
- Financial Support: Interns will be given an award of $1500 each. This is expected to cover 2/3 of the cost related to their air fare, immunization and visa expenses for travel to India
- Housing & Local Expenses: Tata will cover all in-country travel and living costs and provide interns with a modest daily stipend for incidental costs. Interns will be housed in guest accommodations operated by Tata.
- Student Presentations: Students will be expected to make presentations on their findings and recommendations to Tata Corporate Sustainability Services management team prior to departure from India. Interns will also present at the Berkeley-Tata Student Symposium, held on campus in the Fall semester.
The Tata ISES program is open to upper-division UC Berkeley, UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz undergraduate and graduate students whose expected graduation is no earlier than December 2012. Selection is competitive based on academic record, information provided in the application, and potentially a phone interview. Given the cultural exchange aspect of the program preference will be given to students who have not previously spent more than one month in India.
Desired qualifications include:
- Previous work or volunteer experience with NGOs, community groups, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership capacity
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Existing knowledge/strong interest in India
To Apply, click here
Center for South Asia Studies
University of California, Berkeley
10 Stephens Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-2310