Vidya Sridhar works at NASA and is a mom of two elementary school children. She lives and breathes all things filmi.
10. Happy Ending. This is the latest offering from the Saif Ali Khan camp. The music is enhanced with beautiful lyrics and soothing melodies. “Mileya Mileya” is a must hear and “Jaisa Mera Tu” is rivetingly cohabited with edgy visuals. This album is very promising.
Tera Hero. This album has the flavor of Govinda movies from the 90s. The track “Besharmi Ki Height” is young and gets your adrenaline going and is sure to be a New Year’s Eve favorite. “Palat Tera Hero Idhar Hai” is the best song in the album.
6. Hasee Toh Phasee. Vishal and Shekar have come up with a refreshing formula in this album. With a total of six tracks, the film has a perfect blend of foot tapping dance numbers and romantic ballads. “Punjabi Wedding Song” and “Zehnaseeb” are my favorites.
5. 2 States. Shankar Ahsaan Loy deliver mainly because of fresh voices, very little repetition, comforting music and lyrics that you can actually make sense of, all of which make this album a treat. The most memorable number is “Offo” sung by Aditi Singh Sharma and Amitabh Bhattacharya. The guitar and rhythm form a seamless union with the vocals.
4. Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania. This album is a good mix of desi and club numbers. Composed by Sharib-Toshi the songs will appeal to a younger crowd. The songs blend rhythm and hard-grooving sounds that push the energy envelope. My favorite is “Saturday, Saturday.”
3. Ek Villain. A beautiful, sombre melodious soundtrack. Thankfully the music does not reflect the violence in the film. The songs of the movie haunt you. The song “Galliyan” is one you can imagine listening to watching a sun set into a tranquil sea.
2. Ram Leela. Packed with 10 culturally nourished songs, the Ram Leela soundtrack has no cliched remix or reprised versions. It’s a feast for music lovers. I have “Ang Laga De” and “Nagada Sang Dhol” on repeat.
1. Happy New Year. This is the best album of the year. It has incredibly peppy numbers typical of an Shah Rukh Khan film. I loved “Indiawale,” which is sure to become a catchy anthem. “Manwa Lage” is a beautiful romantic number and “Lovely,” stays with you long after the song is over. Already a hit at the box office the songs of this movie deliver as well as the film does.