Summer is over, many schools are ready for the new school year. While there have been debates about the approach schools must take to open the new sessions during this pandemic that’s not yet over. Some suggest having it 100% online and some suggest a hybrid approach. Schools are trying their best to offer their services with the limited resources available, keeping the safety of their students in mind and at the same time ensuring that the quality of education doesn’t suffer. Many parents realize that the learning of their kids may suffer this year. Search for online learning programs has gone up recently. Parents want to supplement their kids’ learning or fill the gaps with some tutoring or extra lessons that could help their child stay on the path and achieve the desired academic progress.
Research also shows that most parents look for extra lessons in Math and English and rightly so, because math and English are the two fundamental subjects/courses that a student needs to master. Proficiency in these two subjects can help a child learn all the other subjects easily.
There are many after-school learning centers and most of the physical locations have been closed since the announcement of shelter-in-place. Many online learning programs have emerged and promise to deliver but unfortunately, all these learning programs are not created the same, and most do not offer the value that they promise.
For the parents, it is a difficult choice to make in the crowded marketplace. How would you select the best learning program for your child? What are the key factors you should be looking for in an online learning program when selecting one for your child?
Here are some of the key points:
- Is the Online Learning program aligned with the US standards? This is especially important because your child must master all the skills necessary as per the standard of the school’s course curriculum. Many after-school learning programs have their own curriculum and often have no relevance at all to what a child learns at school. In our opinion, a child must do well in school and secure excellent results which ultimately helps in college admission.
- Is the online program intelligent and adaptive? In this age of technology, a learning program can be highly efficient and effective if it analyzes students ‘performance data to generate personalized lessons, helps the student to bridge the skill gaps, focus on weaker skills and creates the lesson to overcome the deficiencies, and eventually assist in mastering all the necessary skills.
- Does the program offer tutoring support? Even if a program claims to promote self-learning, students will find themselves in a situation where they need a little support to understand a new concept or a little help in solving a problem. The program that has dedicated tutor’s support for your child who also monitors your child’s performance, communicates regularly about the progress, and offers help as needed, is a better program than the ones who do not have any support whatsoever.
- Does the program have good communication and customer support? This is an important aspect and a lot of online programs do not have adequate resources to offer good customer service. Sometimes, it’s very difficult to find a way to communicate with them or the only mode of communication could be an email from which, getting a response could take days or weeks.
Let us introduce our company Afficient Academy.
Afficient Academy Inc., an ed-tech startup in Silicon Valley, is a pioneer in implementing modern technology in after-school Math & English education. Afficient Academy’s AI-based learning programs help students fill in skill gaps and build strong foundations in Math & English, learn beyond their grade level while achieving excellent results in each grade.
Afficient Academy’s learning centers have been conducting virtual classes during their regular open hours using Zoom online conference tool since the beginning of the lockdown period. Instructors are available online to assist students and offer support through email, phone, Zoom call, and WeChat. Since over half of Afficient Academy’s students were remote learners supported by online teachers even before the lockdown period, Afficient Academy has transitioned to complete virtual learning without compromising the quality of education or level of individualized support that students receive.
What makes Afficient Academy the most effective online program for math & English for students beyond Grade 1 are the reasons already explained earlier. Just to reiterate:
- Curriculum Aligned to US Common Core Curriculum Afficient Academy’s curriculum is aligned to US Common Core curriculum. Afficient Math is for students in Grade 2 to high school and Afficient English is for students in Grade 2 to Grade 7. Content for Grade 8 is going to be released soon. Our dedicated content team constantly upgrades the content.
- Leveraging AI-Based Technology for Excellent Results: Afficient Academy’s AI-based program identifies skill gaps, ensures that all skills are mastered, builds a strong foundation, and leads students to complete each grade with an A or A+. Students receive weekly assignments that are individually tailored to students’ unique learning situations, helping them to conveniently review material and learn new content.
- Remote Online Support by Instructors: After a student signs up for the online program, a designated online teacher is assigned to the student. The online teacher continuously monitors the student’s progress, helps the student through chats & video conferences in case the student needs some help and provides supervision and support.
- Regular Parent/Teacher/Student Communication: Teachers communicate regularly with parents and fully inform them of students’ progress. Parents also receive updates and have their questions answered via email, phone calls, Zoom conferences, WeChat, etc. Finally, Afficient Academy’s iOS and Android App helps parents stay updated about their kid’s progress real-time. Parents also receive a weekly progress report via email.
Afficient Academy is sincerely committed to ensuring that its students are on the path to achieving excellent results.
Afficient Academy is offering an online FREE Diagnostic Test that can be taken from home. Our comprehensive Diagnostic Test evaluates and identifies the appropriate grade levels for the student to review and learn. A personalized learning path is created for the student that allows the student to fill in previous years’ gaps, build a strong foundation and learn advanced materials to go beyond the grade level.