The latest trend amongst adults these days is a refreshing departure from the digital world. Adults are going back to a favorite childhood past time, coloring. And, you will find adults coloring books, filled with intricate designs, from mandalas and paisleys to animals and landscapes, everywhere.
Those that participate in adult coloring are called, “colorists,” they join or sponsor coloring parties, host coloring groups where they share their work and participate in coloring contests. The cheerful activity is even slated to have an inaugural National Coloring Day on August 2nd.
There has been a steady surge in the adult coloring trend worldwide and sales have skyrocketed, creating a buzz in the publishing world. Fortune magazine reported that print sales are up because of the recent surge in adult coloring sales; it also found 5 out of 10 best-selling books on Amazon in the United States were adult coloring books.
One of the leading illustrators is Johanna Basford, who is widely credited for starting the trend with her first book, Secret Garden. According to her press team, Basford has sold more than 10 million adult coloring books worldwide. Much of her work, which are intricate, hand-drawn illustrations depict gardens, forests and ocean-life, which surrounded her while growing up on her parent’s fish farm in rural Scotland.
When asked why coloring appeals adults, Basford says there are three main reasons, “First, it’s a great way to de-stress. That notion of being ‘in flow’ and completely absorbed in a task – particularly an analogue task that doesn’t involve a screen – is just so soothing.” She adds that coloring offers a welcome opportunity to unplug and allow oneself to be completely immersed in a task without the constant chatter of Twitter or the lure of Facebook.
Second, she believes everyone has a creative spark, they just need the encouragement to allow it to flourish. “An empty sheet of paper can be daunting,” she says, “but a coloring book offers a gentle buffer to those with blank canvas anxiety!”
Finally, Basford says the nostalgia factor captivates colorists. “Chances are the last time most people did a spot of coloring — they didn’t have a mortgage, a mean boss or other worries,” she says. She believes coloring gives hard working grown-ups the opportunity to indulge themselves in an activity, which likely reminds them of more carefree days.
There are many genres and illustrators to choose from and iMusti.com, a leading platform for Indian music, movies and books has a wide selection to choose from. Some of iMusti’s best selling books include the following titles:
• New York Times bestseller, Millie Marotta’s Animal Kingdom, in which she brings animals to life with intricate patterns and details. Marotta is also creator of Tropical Wonderland.
• Emma Farrarons’ The Mindfulness Coloring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People. A fun and relaxing, pocketsize coloring book you can take anywhere, designed to channel stress and relax you.
• Travel Between the Lines: Inspirational Coloring for Globetrotters and Daydreamers. Travel around the world with this coloring book, created from actual travel photos of the book’s creators, Geoff and Katie Matthews.
• Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book. Experience the phenomenon that is widely credited for the coloring craze. Johanna Basford is also creator of Lost Ocean and Enchanted Forest. Her next book, Magical Jungle will be available on imusti.com this August.
• Priya J. Shah Art Coloring Book, a local artist who takes a novel approach by combining her passions for drawing and literature in a self-published book. All her illustrations are accompanied by text, which details the history that is behind them. Shah “speaks-back” to colonialism and imperialism that was a part of Indian and Middle Eastern history through her drawings.
• Adult Coloring Books: A Coloring Book for Adults Featuring Mandalas and Henna Inspired Flowers, Animals, and Paisley Patterns by Zing Books. A new collection of stunning images inspired by traditional henna. Detach yourself from your daily distractions and unwind with these detailed drawings.
If this list has piqued your interest and if you are curious about the latest trend, which is fun, affordable and accessible, get your coloring box out and sharpen those pencils to find out what all the excitement is about. Thousands of adult coloring books in a variety genres marked at incredible prices can be found athttp://imusti.com
iMusti.com is a leading website for music and movies and books from around the world. Check it out!