From day one it’s been our mission to contextualize Indian heritage and culture as it relates to the Indian American diaspora, hopefully providing a safe space for minority voices. We strongly believe that that local, in-depth journalism is at the heart of an informed public. The stakes have never felt higher than they have in 2020—but that only strengthens our commitment to producing high-quality journalism you can count on.
The funding we raise during NewsMatch will set us up for 2021, allowing us to continue filling a critical need—producing reporting that informs our readers on important issues and holds our leaders accountable.
Here are just a few examples of reporting in 2020 that our readers helped fund:
- When we unpacked COVID trends for South Asian communities.
- When we covered Voter Access and Census Education for Bay Area readers.
- When we connected you to South Asian Voices and Opinions during the pandemic.
We have big plans for the upcoming year, including:
- Podcast series revealing South Asians in American Politics.
- Continue Live Desi Poetry Readings.
- An investigative series focused on Immigration Policy in America.
But we can’t do any of this without you. This is critical work—the kind that strengthens our community and bolsters our democracy.
Get into the gift-giving spirit this holiday season! Even $5 from you will go a long way at India Currents. Right now Newsmatch will double your donation!
Thank you for supporting India Currents and happy holidays!
Vandana Kumar has been the Editor for India Currents and is serving as the Publisher.