School of Kathak Dance was established by the talented Anuradha Nag in 1992. The name was coined by the illustrious doyen of Kathak, Padmavibhushan Pt. Birju Maharaj. Tarangini aims to contribute to the training of current & future generations in the field of Kathak and keeping them informed about the rich cultural heritage of India. Based in San Jose, CA, Tarangini School of Kathak Dance strives to achieve its mission, as follows:
- Teaching and promoting the knowledge and awareness of the North Indian classical dance form known as Kathak.
- Creating international interest in the community through multicultural stage and television programs for various organizations and educational institutions.
- Providing learning opportunities for talented and /or low- income students through free tuition.
- Sponsoring visiting dancers and accompanying musicians through performances and workshops (artist in resident programs) to preserve and expose the heritage of the dance form.
- To give the students self confidence, exposure through stage appearances and also be able to give them the opportunity to perform with live musicians just like one would in India.
- Students are taught how to teach and pass on this rich heritage to the newer generations in order to preserve the art form and also given teaching opportunities.
- Offering Kathak dance as an outlet for creative self expression for all ages.
Don’t Miss Tarangini School of Kathak Dance upcoming event: