Share Your Thoughts
In a perspective published in the journal Science, a group of scientists reiterates that masks are not only helpful but necessary to combat the spread of the virus from people without symptoms.
The top reasons why Masks will continue to play a critical role are:
- No vaccine is 100% effective.
- Vaccines do not provide immediate protection.
- Covid vaccines may not prevent one from spreading the virus.
- Kids are last in the line to get a vaccine as the clinical trials are still in process.
Because a vaccine is out, that does not mean that people should stop social distancing or wearing a mask. It is still very important to wear a mask and social distance. While doing this, you not only protect yourself but also the people around you, including those with compromised immune systems, senior citizens, friends, family.
Coloring has the ability to relax the fear center of your brain, the amygdala.
“Art therapy is being prescribed a lot more to support the mental health of young kids, especially those with social and emotional deficiencies,” Phaire
It induces the same state as meditating by reducing the thoughts of a restless mind. In these difficult times, this is a small initiative to help people around the world cope with COVID-19.
- Creating an hour of activity.
- Spreading and educating the importance of Masks to younger kids.
- Teaching the basics of Masks.
I have authored the coloring book “The mask” to educate young children about the importance of a mask, especially during this time. It gives children something to do other than watch tv. During this time, there are not a lot of things that people can do and it is much harder for the younger children. My hope with this is to give them an activity or something fun to do while educating them. You can download the book here. It is also available on amazon
With the intention to educate the younger generation, I have reached out to a dozen non-profit organizations, and with their help, I am in the process of distributing 500 “The Mask” coloring books to kids in shelters in the San Francisco Bay area and Seattle. The primary intention being:
- To raise awareness about masks and the importance of wearing it
- More importantly to support the mental health of young kids using art.
As per NY times, for a teenager living in California, the stats for getting the vaccine are:
- Based on your risk profile, we believe the teenager is in line behind 185.6 million people across the United States.
- When it comes to California, teenagers are behind 20.7 million others who are at higher risk in your state.
Masks are our saviors, so the quest to educate kids on masks and their importance is critical, as they are last in line to get the vaccine once one become available. Please continue to wear the masks and educate about the importance of Masks.
Pranav Medida is a freshman at BISV in San Jose. His love of reading, which started at a young age, soon grew into a love of writing. He loves educating kids by authoring books and distributing them to the needy. ‘The Mask’ is his third book to raise awareness.