Community

A Beauty Superpower

I have to admit I am having trouble keeping them straight. Sush and Ash I could manage. But now there’s Yukta and Lara and Diana and Priyanka. All those beautiful women, those perfect teeth, those radiant smiles, the hair pulled up to show that smooth unlined...

Global Multitasking

The capacity crowd watches politely. The screen follows Shah Rukh Khan’s decision-challenged single parent trying to woo Kajol, the Khan character’s equally wishy-washy childhood bosom buddy. A large screen. Air-conditioned cinema. Multitrack digital soundtrack. Deep,...

The Year That Was

Midnight, Dec. 31, 1999: the world did not explode into a million bits. In fact, even the fireworks display on the banks of the Thames did not explode to the satisfaction of television viewers worldwide. Jesus did not arrive as expected, and the Seventh Day...

Imagining India’s Millennium

I can’t dodge it any more. It is time to look reality in the eye. The year 2000 is nearly over, and a new millennium has definitely dawned. Hello, I am an Indian and I love India. I dream of a great India, the Queen of her Millennium. I want my country to be a...

A Tale of Two Elections

I have volunteered to help in two elections in my life: the 1997 municipal elections in Serbia and the U.S. 2000 elections. Both made me out be a liar to a lot of strangers who had faith in me and in democracy. In 1997, Serbia and Bosnia were recovering from the...