Community

The World After September 11

The days after the great terrorist attacks in America have seen a rapid succession of reactions in India. First there was an expectation that the US would now be forced to confront the Pakistani jihadi apparatus. Next there was dismay that the US would reward Pakistan...

Waving the Flag and Other Questions

The President has said we’re supposed to go back to business as usual. I don’t think so. I think we need to stop business as usual and talk. I think the government is limited to tunnel-visionaries and the media seems to think we can’t handle...

The New Americans

The Sept. 11 tragedy has left us searching for answers. While our leaders have the daunting task of dealing with the political aftermath, we, as parents and educators, share a responsibility as well. It is time we took a hard look at the shortcomings of our present...

Making Sense of a Tragedy

September 11, 2001. The world, we are told ad nauseum, will never be the same again. Does it mean we will never carve a Thanksgiving turkey again or go to a Macy’s sale? I don’t think so. Does it mean we will never board an Air India jet to visit families in...

Can Tragedy Draw Us Closer?

There are moments in the collective psyche of a country that the ravages of time can’t dim or erase. The destruction of the Pentagon and the twin towers of the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11, 2001 will remain indelible in the collective psyche of...
Love in the Time of Riots

Love in the Time of Riots

American slain in India. That is the hook on which Shashi Tharoor has hung his latest novel, Riot. Four years in the making, the book starts with the death of Priscilla Hart, a 24-year-old idealistic young woman volunteer with a non-governmental organization in the...