Community

Life in the ghost track.

Few filmmakers acquire the accolades that have been bestowed on Indian-American filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan since the colossal successof his enigmatic 1999 release “The Sixth Sense.” Made on a relativelymodest budget of $40 million, “Sense”...

Global Adjustments

With India being seen as a virtual treasure trove of skilled workers, especially in the computer industry, international firms have gone a-recruiting there as never before. If you have the right training and experience the job is yours. It’s that simple. Or is it?...

A Beauty Superpower

I have to admit I am having trouble keeping them straight. Sush and Ash I could manage. But now there’s Yukta and Lara and Diana and Priyanka. All those beautiful women, those perfect teeth, those radiant smiles, the hair pulled up to show that smooth unlined...

Rahman Rahman-From Tamizha Tamizha To Chhaiya Chhaiya

He is at the center of the stage but you could just as easily miss him. With his trademark tousled hair, dressed in a simple white shirt and jacket, he is almost lost in an orchestra of some 70 musicians. But there is no doubt who is the star of the concert. Even...

Global Multitasking

The capacity crowd watches politely. The screen follows Shah Rukh Khan’s decision-challenged single parent trying to woo Kajol, the Khan character’s equally wishy-washy childhood bosom buddy. A large screen. Air-conditioned cinema. Multitrack digital soundtrack. Deep,...

The Year That Was

Midnight, Dec. 31, 1999: the world did not explode into a million bits. In fact, even the fireworks display on the banks of the Thames did not explode to the satisfaction of television viewers worldwide. Jesus did not arrive as expected, and the Seventh Day...