Community

Of Bols and Dhols

It has been ten years of explorations and explanations. Having studied under tabla gurus like Zakir Hussain and Swapan Chaudhari, Ritesh Das, artistic director of the Toronto Tabla Ensemble, conceived of the ensemble a decade ago—it was an experiment that started with...

The Unsung Heroes of Gujarat

It has been four days since the earth shook in Gujarat, changing forever the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Dr. Sowmya and I are on our way to Ahmedabad to find out how we can help. Other volunteers keep vigil in Chennai, awaiting our report. Two days of...

Woman by Woman

Directed by Dorothy Fadiman; produced by Dorothy Fadiman and Kristin Atwell. 27 mins. “Woman by Woman” carries a powerful message for women in rural India—freedom to make choices about your reproductive rights is power and it can be the first step toward...

The Hillary Factor

The dilemma around Hillary Clinton’s strong personality, her political ambition, her perseverance, her nonchalance towards traditional roles is not new. The visibility it receives and the extremes to which that visibility can go are. We love our women in power...

India: A Time-machine Gone Berserk

“What kind of country is India?” The question was flung at me by a third-generation Indian in Kenya at the millennium’s first Republic Day (January 26) reception hosted by High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia at India House, Nairobi. I was startled, not by the...