Community

Sunny Days

Sunny Days

Sunny Deol is in the Bay Area publicizing his home production of the film 23rd March 1931, Shaheed. A Dharmendra production, it is directed by Guddu Dhanoa. The patriotic song “Mera rang de basanti chola,” plays in the background as film star Sunny Deol walks briskly...

Innovative Company Town

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP)—Halfway around the globe, Eric Engstrom and Swain Porter have hatched a new town in the center of India with an Eastern Washington pedigree. The Washington state technology executives are founding partners of New Oroville, a self-contained software...
The TiE’s of Change

The TiE’s of Change

(TiE) have passed into legend. A group of Indian hi-tech entrepreneurs found themselves in a room with time to kill when an Indian official they were waiting to meet was delayed. A casual exchange of business cards and story-swapping led to a more formal monthly...

A Well Considered Life

We were doing a portocaval shunt. It involved producing a direct surgical communication between the inferior vena cava and the portal vein. “Put the partial occlusion clamp on the cava and pull it toward you, it’s the only way you’ll know if it will reach. You have to...
Play it again Sally

Play it again Sally

As the story of Umrao Jaan unfolds before you on stage, it is hard to believe that the lady behind this production is Sally L. Jones, who went to India to “find herself.” “I don’t know if I have managed to find myself but I have certainly found India, her mystery and...

Women’s Rights as Human Rights

Do you know,” says Anika Rahman, her voice resonant, passionate, “that among the things I have learned from my job is that South Asia is one of the world’s worst places to be a woman?” Anika Rahman is the director of the International Program at a unique New York...