Community

A Family Business of Sarods

A Family Business of Sarods

When Amjad Ali Khan and his sons Amaan and Ayaan Ali Bangash take the stage, they have seven generations of music flowing through their fingers into the sarods. Their concert in the San Francisco Bay Area in August helps raise money for the India Literacy Project....

Gone with the Mullahs

Yesterday 27 broken bodies crammed the crevices of the Kabul Gorge. Today the bodies were gone. A detachment of Afghan soldiers stood by with guns at the ready. If I squinted and focused on a rock outcrop one thousand feet below, I could faintly see the burnt-out...
Flax of Life

Flax of Life

Last week I was in the dentist’s office for my regular cleaning appointment. I was glancing through a health magazine while waiting for the dentist to see me. An article on nature’s wonder-food, flaxseeds, caught my attention. The article went on to describe how...
Forever Cosmetic

Forever Cosmetic

Twelve months since those spectacularly horrifying images exploded onto our television sets? Fifty-two weeks since they imprinted themselves on our minds, our consciousness? Three-hundred and sixty-five days since the world changed forever? Since terrorism became the...

NRI Number One

The expatriate in films is nothing new. Casablanca starring Humphrey Bogart as the suave, mysterious Rick in Morocco remains the top favorite 60 years after its release in America. Although expat characters’ lives are traditionally painted as being...

HIRING HELP

We are in India still, determined as ever to make it here. Life has been an interesting stream of events, moving-in pains if you will. Bangalore is an overgrown wanna-be western place unlike Chennai where we come from. It is still taking time to get into the groove of...